[mythtv-users] Low memory optimizations?

Michael Rice mikerice1969 at hotmail.com
Thu Mar 22 17:45:26 UTC 2007

>From: "kanetse at gmail.com" <kane.tse at gmail.com>
>Date: Wed, 21 Mar 2007 15:24:03 -0700
>
>On 3/21/07, Enigma <enigma at thedonnerparty.com> wrote:
> > Greetings.
> >
> > I am a long time Myth user.  2 of my frontends are Xboxes.  Since the
> > release of 0.20 they have become extremely slow because of their limited
> > memory (64 MB).  Under prior versions they performed passably but now
> > they are swapping heavily when doing anything.  Menu changes are slow
> > and playing a recording takes 15-30 seconds to begin and sometimes
> > fails.  Is there anything I can do to decrease the memory usage of
> > mythfrontend or X?  I saw a thread a little while ago about some themes
> > using more memory than other themes, does anyone have a definitive
> > answer on the theme with the lowest memory usage?  I know there are
> > plenty of people using xboxes (or other memory-limited machines) as
> > frontends, please chime in!
>
>I've also been using MythTV for awhile; but I don't upgrade until
>between TV seasons.  So I'm currently stuck on 0.19 until at least
>May.  I have 0.19 running on my XBox (Xebian 1.0.3); and it's been
>passable.
>
>I was planning on upgrade to 0.20 over the summer, but maybe I should
>hold off on going to 0.20 until the XBox gets replaced...  Anyone with
>an XBox on 0.20 want to comment?

I have an Xbox 0.20 front end in the bedroom.  I see pretty much what Enigma
describes above 15-30sec to start playing and slow menus.  I don't use it
often so it is fine and the price was right.  For me the biggest issue is
that my backend and other frontend is Fedora and I am basically not updating
anything in fear of getting out-of-sync with two different distros.  I don't
have much knowledge or experience with Debian repositories and updating...
and building from source on an Xbox is ridiculously slow.