[mythtv-users] HD Compression Artifacts

John Goerzen jgoerzen at complete.org
Thu Mar 22 23:50:51 UTC 2007

Hi,

I have a pcHDTV 3000 and am using it for over-the-air HD broadcasts.

I have noticed recently that during NCAA games, where there is on-screen
action -- even some sort of graphic moving around -- that classic MPEG
compression artifacts are visible around it on the TV.  I have no
explanation for this.  It seems like with HD, we shouldn't have to deal
with that sort of thing, yet there it is.

Switching between ffmpeg and libmpeg2 decoders makes no difference.

Is this an inherent problem with HD?  Or perhaps something specific to
how CBS is airing the NCAA games?

I am displaying this off an nVidia card, with the nvidia proprietary
drivers, on a 42" CRT, sending it a 1080i signal via an Audiovox
VGA-to-component adapter.

Thanks,

-- John