[mythtv-users] HDTV shows are squished

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Fri Mar 23 02:07:32 UTC 2007

On 03/22/2007 03:49 PM, Jason Kleeh wrote:
> Thanks for the suggestion I tried it but with no luck.
>
> I did some more digging and I think this looks correct from my X log:
> (II) NVIDIA(0): Computing DPI using physical size from SHARP HDMI (DFP-0)'s
> (II) NVIDIA(0):     EDID and first mode to be programmed on SHARP HDMI
> (II) NVIDIA(0):     (DFP-0):
> (II) NVIDIA(0):   width  : 1920 pixels  820  mm (DPI: 59)
> (II) NVIDIA(0):   height : 1080 pixels  460  mm (DPI: 59)
> (--) NVIDIA(0): DPI set to (59, 59); computed from "UseEdidDpi" X config
>
> Later I was able to change the DPI to 100x100 but it didn't help and as I
> understand it 59x59 should be ok since any square pixel with a 16:9
> display size should be recognized as yielding a 16:9 display correct?

Only on a 16:9 TV, but that applies here.  I'm also ignoring the DPI
comment as 59x59 is not the same as 100x100 to Myth 0.20-fixes and below...

http://mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/Frequently_Asked_Questions#Q:_All_my_fonts_look_like_they_are_the_wrong_sizes.2C_how_can_I_correct_this.3F
http://mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/Display_Size
http://mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/Specifying_DPI_for_NVIDIA_Cards

> I found out the NVIDIA drivers now ignore the display size option

Only if the X server is started with command-line arguments specifying a
DPI, or if EDID reports DPI or DisplaySize and UseEdidDpi is true, or if
the X config file specifies DPI (in that order of preference).

>  but the
> detected display size from edid is 820x460 which is also ~16x9 (1.782 vs
> 1.778)
>
> I'm at a loss if anyone could help I would be very grateful.

Check your settings for Aspect Override and Aspect Ratio in the frontend
settings.

Mike