[mythtv-users] HD Compression Artifacts

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Fri Mar 23 02:19:18 UTC 2007

On 03/22/2007 07:50 PM, John Goerzen wrote:
> I have a pcHDTV 3000 and am using it for over-the-air HD broadcasts.
>
> I have noticed recently that during NCAA games, where there is on-screen
> action -- even some sort of graphic moving around -- that classic MPEG
> compression artifacts are visible around it on the TV.  I have no
> explanation for this.  It seems like with HD, we shouldn't have to deal
> with that sort of thing, yet there it is.
>
> Switching between ffmpeg and libmpeg2 decoders makes no difference.
>
> Is this an inherent problem with HD?  Or perhaps something specific to
> how CBS is airing the NCAA games?

I don't think what you're seeing are MPEG compression artifacts.  I
think it's called "profit maximization."  It seems many networks are
using too-low bitrates (= less bandwidth) for the shows they broadcast
so they can "steal" a bit for those "extra" channels (i.e. 2_1 uses a
bit less bandwidth to make room for 2_2 and so on...).

Mike