[mythtv-users] XvMC not working - Nvidia

Damian Surr damian at gingermagic.co.uk
Fri Mar 23 12:12:11 UTC 2007

William Munson wrote:
> Damian Surr wrote:
>
>> I tried to get XvMC working last night. Playback did seem slightly
>> different when I turned it on (seemed to stutter much more when changing
>> channels on live TV, then smooth out once OSD had gone away. Didn't
>> notice any great improvement though.
>>
>> I've just seen this in the output of mythfrontend
>> 2007-03-23 09:10:48.654 VideoOutputXv: XvMCTex: Init failed
>> 2007-03-23 09:10:48.655 VideoOutputXv: XVideo Adaptor Name: 'NV17 Video
>> so I guess XvMC isn't working at the moment.
>>
>> I have a nVidia 5200 card and driver 1.0.9746
>>
>> The 'XvMCConfig' file in /etc/X11 contains:
>> libXvMC.so.1
>>
>> I read while trying to sort this last night that this file should
>> possibly contain:
>> libXvMCNVIDIA_dynamic.so.1
>> buy my memory was that that just gave me a blank screen with live TV so
>> I switched it back.
>>
>> I'm in the UK and have a Nova-T card.
>>
>> Should there be something in my xorg file about XvMC or something?
>>
>> Cheers
>> Damian
>>

> Lets start out with a bit of background info.. What distro are you
> running? How are you installing your packages? Yum, apt-get or gentoo
> style build everything?

Hi William,

Thanks for replying.
I'm using Ubuntu. Installed bits using the Synaptic Package manager
mainly. Some bits using apt-get.

I did read last night that the sources have to be built (if that's the
correct terminology, I've never built a source in my life) to enable
XvMC, but I assumed that the Ubuntu installs were ok. Maybe I was wrong?

My current best shot at fixing this was finding
libXvMCNVIDIA.so.1.0.9746 in /usr/lib/
I tried putting /usr/lib/libXvMCNVIDIA.so.1.0.9746 into
/etc/X11/XvMCConfig but it seemed to break things. The screen just goes
blank for live TV and mythfrontend output seems to be constantly timing
out or something.

I've switched the file back to read libXvMC.so.1 for now.

Cheers
Damian