[mythtv-users] HD Compression Artifacts

ryan patterson ryan.goat at gmail.com
Fri Mar 23 12:46:23 UTC 2007

On 3/22/07, John Goerzen <jgoerzen at complete.org> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have a pcHDTV 3000 and am using it for over-the-air HD broadcasts.
>
> I have noticed recently that during NCAA games, where there is on-screen
> action -- even some sort of graphic moving around -- that classic MPEG
> compression artifacts are visible around it on the TV.  I have no
> explanation for this.  It seems like with HD, we shouldn't have to deal
> with that sort of thing, yet there it is.
>
> Switching between ffmpeg and libmpeg2 decoders makes no difference.
>
> Is this an inherent problem with HD?  Or perhaps something specific to
> how CBS is airing the NCAA games?

You are seeing compression artifacts from the original broadcast source.
There is nothing wrong with your setup.  The problem is the hardware CBS
uses for compressing the video stream in real time for live viewing.
Prerecorded shows are compressed beforehand using a more time intensive
compression system.  As time goes by hardware for real time mpeg-2
compression should get more powerful.  So ten years from now these
compression artifacts on live events should be gone.