[mythtv-users] HD Compression Artifacts

David Brodbeck gull at gull.us
Sat Mar 24 01:28:53 UTC 2007

John Goerzen wrote:
> I have noticed recently that during NCAA games, where there is on-screen
> action -- even some sort of graphic moving around -- that classic MPEG
> compression artifacts are visible around it on the TV.  I have no
> explanation for this.  It seems like with HD, we shouldn't have to deal
> with that sort of thing, yet there it is.

This is one of the things that sours me a bit on HDTV.  Often it seems
like by the time you back up enough to not see the artifacts, you might
as well be watching SDTV.  Add in all the trouble people seem to have
getting it working (over half the mailing list traffic, I'd guess) and
all the issues with encrypted channels and I can't say I'm eager to switch.