[mythtv-users] Happy Anniversary

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Sat Mar 24 11:38:39 UTC 2007

On Mar 23, 2007, at 8:41 PM, Nick Morrott wrote:

> On 22/03/07, Brian Wood <beww at beww.org> wrote:
>> uptime
>>   15:46:15 up 365 days,  2:00,  3 users,  load average: 0.00,
>> 0.00, 0.00
>
> Are you sure your CPU is fast enough for those load levels? :)

Probably not:-) Of course like most machines it spend 99.9999999% of
its time doing nothing, but when you do need some CPU horsepower it's
nice to have. That one happens to be an old socket 754 "clawhammer"
amd64 3700+.

I literally have a couple of FX60s sitting in boxes, but for pure CPU
power nothing at this point beats the PS3 I bought to play with, but
it draws 210 watts at idle.

The 3 users were the frontend process and a couple of SSH sessions,
one of which was just so I could cut and paste the uptime etc. into a
mail on another machine. As you could easily tell from the headers
(which I suppose could be forged but aren't) I use a Mac for most of
my day-to-day stuff as it's a decent little box with a BEAUTIFUL 20"
display, and AppleMail suits my limited needs for a good MUA, and OSX
sure beats Windows any day.

I guess the one year was mostly a psychological milestone, just to
prove it could be done, as I really do have to upgrade a lot of
things on the system, among other things try and get the power
consumption down. While power is relatively cheap here in Wyoming I
should try and reduce it on principle if nothing else.