[mythtv-users] Just trying to maximize my mythtv setup

Nathan A. Smith nasa01 at comcast.net
Sat Mar 24 22:58:10 UTC 2007

On Thu, 2007-03-22 at 08:59 -0500, Al Banks wrote:
> On 3/22/07, nasa01 at comcast.net <nasa01 at comcast.net> wrote:
> >
> > Howdy,
> >
> > I figure I am SOL, but I wanted to make sure....
> >
> > I have the following MB, MSI K9N Platinum Socket AM2 NVIDIA nForce 570 Ultra
> > MCP ATX AMD Motherboard -- which has firewire built-in.  I have a pvr-500
> > and pchdtv5500 cards installed.  My service is provided by Comcast.  I am
> > paying for Digital cable with a HDTV box.  Which has channels from 1 - 200+.
> >
> > What works:
> >
> > my pvr-500 works great -- I have it getting basic cable 1 - 78.
> >
> > What doesn't:
> >
> > pchdtv5500 -- I have scanned for channels using QAM-64 and QAM-256;  QAM-64
> > didn't have any channels and every channel on QAM-256 was encrypted (the
> > scan covered from 1 - 160?).
> >
> > firewire -- At no time have I been able to get any show broadcast over
> > firewire, I can however change channels with no problems  :}   Trying
> > firewire by following the wiki's located here:
> >
> > http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/FireWire
> > http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/Firewire_Priming
> >
> > have only returned "failed" from both P2P and Broadcast.
> >

> > My questons:
> >
> > 1.  Does anyone have any experience with the firewire ports off of my
> > motherboard?
> >      -- I'm low on pci ports so I don't think I have a spot to add a
> > firewire card.
> > 2.  How do I scan for channels above the default (using QAM-256) as I think
> > my HD channels are up there...
> > 3.  Did I fail to try something that would help me out?
> >

> > I'm not to optimistic, but it doesn't hurt to ask....
> >

> > Nasa
> >

> You're ahead of me, but sound fairly close to where I'm headed with
> the system I'm building.  I seem to recall reading that Comcast would
> enable the Firewire port if you call, and are lucky enough to get a
> rep that understands how to make it happen.
>
> As far as encryption, I would imagine that premium channels will be
> encrypted, and I would hope OTA channels would not be encrypted.  If
> Comcast's encryption prevents you from recording any legitimate
> channels, gripe to Comcast and the FCC (maybe even the local PSC, if
> they have any pull)
ok,

So to keep the list posted...

I can only change channels via firewire -- I have yet to get any type of
picture over it.  I haven't determined if it's my motherboard or the
damn box.

QAM works about the same.  I have searched using every combo (minus
QAM128, which no one reports being used).  And the only stations above
78 that are found are 79#1 - 79#22, 80#1- 80#8, 83#1, 85#1, 86#1, 111#1
- 111#3.  Trying to view any of these station fails.  Side Note:  I am
putting cable from the wall into the pchdtv 5500, is that right?  or
should it be from the box (if that's possible).

I am using a dual-core Athlon 3800.

Nasa