[mythtv-users] Bad video connecting through PVR-150

Hugh mythtv at piggie.org
Sat Mar 24 23:41:04 UTC 2007

> Hugh wrote:
> > All,
> >
> > I'm in the middle of setting up a PVR and am having a few issues.
> > First, I'm having some difficulty with hooking up my PVR-150 to my
> > DirecTV H20 receiver with an S-Video cable. When I do that, the
> > video comes through like it's not quite synched. It'll kind of
> > appear fine for a couple of seconds, then look like it's out of
> > synch with some bars of color on the screen for a few seconds and
> > back to fine, etc. Not sure quite how to describe it. If I hook
> > the cable directly to the TV, the problem goes away.
>
> Yikes.  Just a shot in the dark, but the easiest thing to try would be
> another cable, just to be on the safe side.
>
> When I was setting mine up in late December, I had one cable that just
> didn't want to seat all of the way in to the card.  It went in to the
> port on the TV with no problems, but just refused to seat all of the
> way in to the PVR-150.  I tried another cable, and it slid in and
> seemed to give that satisfying feeling of being locked in there...
>
> It could also be a bad card (if it is a new card)...
>
> -Rich

Unfortunately, it doesn't look like either of those are the problem. The
cable is firmly seated. I also tried a different cable. And, I have
another card that's going to go with a system I'm building for my wife.
That one's also having the same problem. So, that seems to narrow it
down to either software on the system (which seems a bit unlikely to me,
but what do I know?) or something about the receiver output that the
capture card doesn't like. The H20 is an HD DirecTV receiver, and in the
interface, it seems like you can't disable 480p. Could it be possibly
cycling between 480p and 480i? I can't imagine it would, considering
it's going over a S-Video cable and as such would cause similar issues
when hooked up to the TV.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Hugh