[mythtv-users] Problems with imdb.pl

Stroller linux.luser at myrealbox.com
Sun Mar 25 01:20:57 UTC 2007

Tamir Alush wrote:
> Running the IMDB script on a movie name which has more than one
> word in its title, gives out no results. I have to add a backslash
> (\) before the second and third words in order to get the IMDB
> title number in return. For example: "imdb.pl -M Running Scared"
> returns nothing, but if I type "imdb.pl -M Running\ Scared" I get
> the correct IMDB title number.

Hi there,

You're putting quotes around the command you tried when posting here
- have you tried using quotes in the command?

Does:

    imdb.pl -M "Running Scared"

work?

This should tell the shell to pass "Running Scared" to imdb.pl as a
single parameter, rather than two separate ones.

Stroller

PS: When posting questions & answers to mailing lists I usually like
to use `single quotes` to indicate short commands. In longer output I
use a dollar or hash, like you'd see a shell offer if you started it
with the most simple environment.

EG:
$ whoami
stroller
$ su -
Password:
# whoami
root
#

I believe this is clearer because it's the same quotation syntax you
would use with the shell itself. For instance:
$ for foo in `cat movies.txt` ; do imdb.pl -M "$foo" ; done