[mythtv-users] Just trying to maximize my mythtv setup

Nathan A. Smith nasa01 at comcast.net
Sun Mar 25 18:57:10 UTC 2007

On Sun, 2007-03-25 at 02:03 +0100, Stroller wrote:
> On 22 Mar 2007, at 13:40, nasa01 at comcast.net wrote:
> > I have the following MB, MSI K9N Platinum Socket AM2 NVIDIA nForce
> > 570 Ultra MCP ATX AMD Motherboard -- which has firewire built-in.
> >
> > firewire -- At no time have I been able to get any show broadcast
> > over firewire, I can however change channels with no problems  :}
> > Trying firewire by following the wiki's located here:
> >
> > http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/FireWire
> > http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/Firewire_Priming
> > 1.  Does anyone have any experience with the firewire ports off of
> > my motherboard?
> >      -- I'm low on pci ports so I don't think I have a spot to add
> > a firewire card.
>
> You obviously seem to think that the problem is with the firewire
> ports of this motherboard. My advice is to prove the point - pull
> another PCI cards, install a 10 firewire card & try using that.
>
> You don't have to consider this a permanent solution, but it's a good
> way to troubleshoot. If you get the same problem with the PCI
> firewire card then maybe the m/board isn't to blame. If you can get
> the PCI firewire card working then maybe it'll help you do the same
> with the onboard firewire.
>
> Stroller.

Thanks for the input Stroller,

I didn't intend to say it was my motherboard -- only that it's reported
on the wiki that some firewire chips don't work that well.

My firewire doesn't work at all -- which (at least to me) started to
suggest the box.  In order to try and prove this I did some googling and
found this:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?postid=4617480#post4617480

quote:

"Originally posted by DFA

5c status is checked by going into the diagnostics menu for the STB. For
the SA, on the box itself (not using the remote), press and hold the "+"
button for a few seconds, the "envelope" light will come on blinking.
(the + button is the "bulls-eye" in the middle of the 4 "arrow" keys).
Press the "info" key next.

DFA "

On my version of the 3250 page 19/24 has the info on 1394.  Across the
board it said "unavailable".

BTW:  the post right after the one quoted noted that "how to check 5c
flag for 3250HD w/ passport software:
go to your diagnostic channel, mine in 996 press "exit" on the stb, a
new screen opens scroll down to 1394, it will display info for the last
channel you tuned to", this method of getting to the screen only works
if you have used the previous method at least once before - power if off
and you need to use the 1st one again.

So this prompted a call to Comcast...  and the strangest thing happened,
I got a tech (the one who answered the call) who knew what firewire was.
Mind you, it's not because comcast trained him, but because he saw it on
his soundcard on his home computer.  After some troubleshooting 2 things
were *determined*, I should get a new box and it from his reading it
seems that 2 digital outputs from the SA3250HD at the same time is not
supported.  The tech wasn't sure of this, but as best he could tell that
was the situation.

Could anyone verify the 2nd statement?

Nasa