[mythtv-users] Wireless Pre-N for Linux?

Jarod Wilson jarod at wilsonet.com
Mon Mar 26 13:50:36 UTC 2007

On Monday 26 March 2007 09:36:08 Stroller wrote:
> On 26 Mar 2007, at 06:48, Jarod Wilson wrote:
> > Some of the new PowerLine A/V stuff actually looks pretty
> > reasonable though...
>
> Not sure what you mean by "the new PowerLine A/V stuff" here. I read
> that Devolo this week announced a kit that allows you to stream
> (component?) video over the home mains, but they have been doing
> ethernet-over-mains adaptors for quite some time. I have used their
> 10mbps kits for internet access in large homes with thick walls &/or
> interference, but they also do a kit that does (I think) 80mbps. I
> guess this'd be my choice if conventional wired & wireless ethernet
> wouldn't cut it.

PowerLine A/V is the 200Mbps (theoretical max) network-over-power-lines
standard that was (iirc) officially unveiled at CES back in January. Quite a
few vendors have kits out in the $150-200 range, and reviews suggest these
setups are capable of sustaining ~50Mbps, which is ample bandwidth for
streaming HDTV.

http://reviews.cnet.com/Linksys_PLK200_PowerLine_AV_Ethernet_Adapter_Kit/4505-3304_7-32313519.html

--
Jarod Wilson