[mythtv-users] Wireless Pre-N for Linux?

Charles H. Chapman ccmail at bellsouth.net
Mon Mar 26 16:13:13 UTC 2007

[802.11G working with Myth]
> Generally, it doesn't, you're a fortunate minority there. If there's
> any kind of interference (walls, ceilings, microwaves, cordless
> phones), the throughput of 802.11g usually can't sustain enough
> throughput for HDTV.

The key is to force a bit rate slightly less than the maximum rate of 54
Mb/s (like 48 or 36 Mb/s), i.e., don't select "Auto" or 54 Mb/s as the bit
rate in your wireless AP.  Using a lower bitrate greatly improves the
reliability and you'll never miss the slight loss in bandwidth.  The key is
to minimize or eliminate TCP retries -- even one retry can take too long
over 802.11G.  Using 48 Mb/s I can stream HD to my laptop anywhere on my
property, including out by the pool.

Chuck