[mythtv-users] Wireless Pre-N for Linux?

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Mon Mar 26 17:03:17 UTC 2007

On 03/26/2007 12:49 PM, gchris wrote:
> There are some additional considerations.  The D-Link 108Mb adapters
> require two clear channels and an unimpeded path to come close to
> achieving their rated speed.  Even if the adapters have a clear line of
> sight between them, interference from a neighbors wifi network can make
> 108Mb iffy, and my experience with these cards suggests that only a
> small improvement over 54Mb cards is the norm.

And, doesn't the whole network drop back to 54Mbps if /any/ device on
the network is not from the same manufacturer (i.e. in this case a
D-Link)?  So, for example, if the user was just squeaking by with a
108Mbps wireless connection and someone booted a laptop with a built-in
Broadcom or whatever wi-fi card and joined the network, all of a sudden
playback would become unreliable.

Mike