[mythtv-users] Good Books/Websites on building computers

R. G. Newbury newbury at mandamus.org
Mon Mar 26 19:46:42 UTC 2007

Cole Brodine wrote:
> On 3/26/07, Dan Brown <dan at familybrown.org> wrote:
>>

>> http://www.tomshardware.com/2006/11/20/how_to_build_part_1/
>> http://www.tomshardware.com/2006/12/04/choosing-the-right-vender/
>> http://www.tomshardware.com/2006/12/14/how-to-build-a-pc-part-3/

> Just want to second Tom's Hardware.  Their website has a lot of great
> guides, pictures, videos, etc for building computers.  They also have more
> advanced guides about things like overclocking, watercooling and other more
> advanced DIY Hardware projects.  They have very good reviews of various
> hardware with lots of good technical information like benchmarks.
>
> I also like to check the user pages on the Wiki to see what hardware and
> brands seem to be working good for other people.  Tom's doesn't usually
> have
> much info on Linux compatibility.  Some stuff works out of the box in Linux
> better then other stuff.
 > Hope my $.02 helps here

www.silentpcreview.com

Like Tom's Hardware but more focusd on how to do it quietly. Great
reviews about fans and water-cooling, discussions about air-flow in
cases etc. etc. Even building your own wooden case to
dampen/channel/restrict sound...
If your wife doesn't want a tower server case in the TV room, how about
an TV stand which happens to contain a server??? Will that be in oak or
mahogany?

I'll see your $.02 and raise you $.02.....

Geoff
--
              R. Geoffrey Newbury
            Barrister and Solicitor