[mythtv-users] lirc almost solved

R. G. Newbury newbury at mandamus.org
Mon Mar 26 19:59:17 UTC 2007

Brian Bosch wrote:
>> I also find that the lirc_i2c module was not loaded and lircd no started
>> before the mythfrontend was started. So I kill the mythfrontend then
>>
>> /sbin/modprobe lirc_i2c
>> /sbin/service lircd start
>>
>> mythfrontend
>>
>> and bingo I get the remote.
>>
>> I don't know why lirc do not start automatically as I have it setup in
>> my /etc/modprobe.conf as this:
>>
>> lias eth0 forcedeth
>> alias scsi_hostadapter sata_nv
>> alias char-major-61 lirc_i2c
>> alias char-major-81 videodev
>> alias char-major-81-0 ivtv
>> alias char-major-81-1 ivtv
>> alias char-major-81-2 ivtv
>> install ivtv /sbin/modprobe saa7127; /sbin/modprobe --ignore-install
>> ivtv; /sbin/modprobe ivtv-fb
>> options ivtv-fb osd_compat=1
>> install lirc_i2c /sbin/modprobe ivtv; /sbin/modprobe --ignore-install
>> lirc_i2c
>>
>> I'm not sure if lircd is starting automatically. should I chamge
>> something in the /etc/modprobe.conf ??
>
> Now that you mention it I had the same issue on my FC6 system.  I put
> the following in /etc/rc.local to get around it.  Likely there is a
> better way, but this got it working and then I forgot all about it:
>
> /sbin/depmod -a
> /sbin/modprobe lirc_i2c
> /sbin/service lircd start

you need to put the lirc module loading lines FIRST in modprobe.conf. So
you should have lirc_i2c, then (usually) lirc_dev and finally
lirc_your-driver-name, as lines 1 through 3.
Nobody seems to know why but 'That's the Way It Is'....

Then you should not need to do either the modprobe or the service start
in rc.local. You do NOT need to run depmod on every boot. That need only
be run after you have installed new modules. (Use ldconfig for new
libraries).

G.

--
              R. Geoffrey Newbury