[mythtv-users] Partial channel data, UK

Damian Surr damian at gingermagic.co.uk
Tue Mar 27 09:10:50 UTC 2007

Mike Perkins wrote:
> Damian Surr wrote:
>
>> Hello all,
>>
>> I had another session on Myth last night and got things up and running.
>> All recording and working very nicely. Got a few questions, so I'm going
>> to post them in different threads.
>>
>> The first one is my channel data. I'm getting information for some
>> channels, but not all. Getting things like ITV1, Channel 4 and several
>> others. Not getting BBC1, BBC2, Channel 5.
>>
>> I roughly followed this guide for setting the channel data up:
>> http://parker1.co.uk/mythtv_id.php
>>

>> I realise that if anyone can help you'll need more information from me,
>> but not sure what info will be need. Can anyone help out?
>>
>> Cheers
>> Damian

> Sounds like you're not getting all the multiplexes. You might try
> scanning again, might be a weather-related problem. If that doesn't
> work, consider if your aerial is good enough, or that it is aligned for
> best signal. If you have a signal booster lying around try inserting
> that, may make some difference. (An older booster designed for analogue
> may not boost all channels equally, more important for digital sources).
> Until the analogue signal gets switched off digital signals are
> transmitted at reduced strength, which can be a pain if you are in a
> marginal area.

Just tried re-scanning. Still got the same problem.
> Another option is to use the dvb-utils tools to run a scan. This will
> provide you with a whole bunch of diagnostic info to help you determine
> what you can/cant/might only just be able to receive, and what you might
> do to fix the problem.

Not had time to look at how to do this, let alone do it yet. I'll get to
it when my list of other problems gets sorted.

Starting to wonder if I should have stayed with windows and had a second
rate media centre that worked rather than a better open source option
that makes the geek in me feel better about leaving Mr Gates' trap, but
just requires too much effort.

Thanks for your help Mike.

Damian