[mythtv-users] IVTV Bitrate & Resolution

Cory Papenfuss papenfuss at juneau.me.vt.edu
Tue Mar 27 12:20:21 UTC 2007

> Have you actually seen players that treat 704x480 and 720x480
> differently?  I haven't done any real testing, but haven't seen evidence
> that any players I've used do.  You mentioned you have seen a difference
> at the start of playback on some and then after much less than a second
> it stretches, but that sounds even worse than completely ignoring the
> difference.  I wonder why a player would be implemented that way (or if
> that's some other unrelated effect).
>
> Mike

 	Differently?  All I can say is what I already sorta did.  I've
seen players where I put in a disk I recorded at 352x480 and for the first
fraction of a second it only plays on half the screen.  Then it stretches
to the full screen.  Same thing with 704x480... plays on 95% of the
screen, then stretches to (over)fill it.

 	Aspect ratios, resolutions (especially the term "lines of
resolution"), and bitrates all have more confusion than not out there.
For example, most people would have a hard time explaining why a DVD has
540 "lines of resolution" as described in the literature everywhere for
4:3.  The same player only has 405 "lines of resolution" if playing a 16:9
video.... anamorphic or not.  Anamorphic only increases the *vertical*
lines of resolution, not the horizontal.

-Cory