[mythtv-users] Random MythTV thoughts

Steven Adeff adeffs.mythtv at gmail.com
Tue Mar 27 14:28:34 UTC 2007

On 3/27/07, Yeechang Lee <ylee at pobox.com> wrote:
> (With apologies to Larry King.)
>
> Without LIRC and PVR-xxx posts mythtv-users wouldn't be half as busy
> as it is now . . . 'Find One Instance' just by itself is MythTV's true
> "killer app" . . . HDTV programs take up ginormous disk space
> . . . _How I Met Your Mother_ is the best sitcom around . . . _30
> Rock_ is right behind . . . Other themes may be flashier, but Retro's
> still the most-elegant in my eyes . . . People who misspell "lose" as
> "loose" should be required to wear in public signs reading "I am
> Illiterate" . . . Same goes for those who don't know how to
> unsubscribe from the list . . . Don't even get me started about top
> posters.
>
> Whoever first conceived the notion of a client/server architecture for
> MythTV deserves the Nobel Prize in Thinking Ahead . . . Life is not
> complete without HDNet Movies . . . XvMC is usually more trouble than
> it's worth . . . A surprising number of issues can be simply solved by
> being a man and ponying up a few dollars for a slightly-faster CPU/
> motherboard . . . Commflagging/ commercial skipping gives the user the
> sense that he has jumped five or ten years into the future . . . Jarod
> Wilson and Robert Kulagowski deserve the Medal of Honor for their
> documentation work.
>
> Why do some MPEG2-MPEG4 transcodes look *horrible* when most look
> really good? Just asking . . . Few things in life are better than
> eating chicken wings while watching a college-football game in HD
> . . . If the MX series of remotes is designed for giants, the Harmony
> series is designed for midgets . . . _Ben-Hur_'s chariot scene is
> ridonkulously amazing no matter how many times you've seen it
> . . . _The Simpsons_ is America's single-greatest cultural
> contribution of the 20th century . . . The first company to introduce
> a PCI CableCARD-slot card is going to make a fortune . . . I still
> miss _The OC_.

you forgot...
...how amazing live concerts in HD and surround sound are... no BSG
until 2008?!... 5C sucks... theres a FoodTV-HD? I don't know why I
want it but I do!... UseEvents=True is a savior for those of us with
HD... Ronin vs. Bullitt chase scene?... MLS in HD this year,
awesome!... SPRING! It's warming up! Grass is growing, outdoor sports
will be possible again! (now I'll never get around to watching Friday
Night Lights or Rome)...

--
Steve
Before you ask, read the FAQ!