[mythtv-users] Digital out - SiS SI7012

Rod Smith mythtv at rodsbooks.com
Tue Mar 27 15:51:27 UTC 2007

On Tuesday 27 March 2007 00:38, Mitch Gore wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have a ECS 661FX-M7 (1.1) LGA 775 SiS 661FX Micro ATX Intel Motherboard
> and am trying to use the on board digital output.
>
> Currently i have a PCI sound card that works great but i would really like
> to remove it to gain 2 PCI slots (it takes two with the add on bracket).
>
> Anyway I am sure i have my cases coax connector on right but no matter what
> i do i cant get sound.
>
> I have been using alsamixer to adjust settings but nothing works.

I have no experience with your specific motherboard and its audio hardware;
however, I do have several suggestions/comments:

- There are several MythTV wiki entries on sound, including
  http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/Configuring_Digital_Sound,
http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/Configuring_Digital_Sound_with_AC3_and_SPDIF,
  http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/Sound_card, and
  http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/Sound_Troubleshooting. Read them all.

- Unfortunately, mixer settings vary from one sound card to another, so
  the correct settings for one computer may not be the same as the correct
  settings for another. You'll have to experiment.

- Try to get sound working OUTSIDE of MythTV first. It's easier to adjust and
  test things like sound output devices using tools such as play and aplay
  than to do so in MythTV.

- Some people find that using ALSA output specifications for sound works
  better than using OSS device files, but the OSS device files work fine
  for others. Again, you'll just need to experiment.

--
Rod Smith
http://www.rodsbooks.com