[mythtv-users] Start FE from SSH

Rich West Rich.West at wesmo.com
Tue Mar 27 17:51:29 UTC 2007

Jason Sullivan wrote:

> On 3/27/07, Mitch Gore <mitchell.gore at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> Every once in a blue moon the front end will crash, its very annoying in
>> itself but the worst part is that I take my keyboard and mouse off my PC and
>> connect it to the HTPC, just to restart the frontend.
>>
>>  It would be so much easier if i could just ssh into the box and start the
>> frontend.
>>
>> How would i do this?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Mitchell
>>

> Depends on what other things you've got running.  For instance, I've
> got the Gnome Display Manager set up to autologin the mythTV user and
> the .xinitrc (or something like that, I'd have to go home to check)
> set up to run mythfrontend.  When it crashes (which only seems to be
> during mythmusic), the mythTV user gets logged out, and then GDM logs
> it in again.  Automatic.

Hrmm.. I like this one.  The only catch I can see is the situation where
mythfrontend continually dies upon startup which would cause an endless
cycle of login, crash, logout until the situation was fixed.  Although,
that situation would be pretty rare.

How did you get it to automatically log out if it crashes?  MythMusic
(as was mentioned in another post to this topic) is the main source of
crashes on my end resulting in a lessening WAF since she can't easily
restart things without either my help or hitting the reset button on the
machine (yuck!).

-Rich