[mythtv-users] Question regarding Westinghouse LVM-37W3 w/ Geforce 6150 (On board video)

ryan patterson ryan.goat at gmail.com
Tue Mar 27 18:21:37 UTC 2007

On 3/27/07, Brian Walter <blwalter at gmail.com> wrote:

> Greetings,
>
> I'm attempting to get the resolution resolved using  an asus m2nbp-vm
> motherboard with a Geforce 6150 LE onboard.
>
> I'm currently connecting to the monitor via VGA cable (dvi on the way...).
>
> When I set the resolution to 1920x1080 (the preferred native resolution
> of the monitor), X comes up *way* to big (screen real estate wise).  I
> can not see the standard desktop icons (they are way off to the left),
> nor can I see the task bar (way off to the bottom) and windows that
> attempt to open in the upper right corner loose their title bar.
>
> Other resolutions do work, though aren't as 'nice' as the native
> resolution.
>
> Another interesting thing - the manual suggests 1920x1080 at 60hz,
> though X only allows me to pick 50hz.
>
> So, my questions are:
>
> 1) Is this a video card issue?  I have a 5200 floating around I can also
> try...
> 2) Is it just a matter of tweaking the modeline - playing with the
> 'front porch' 'back porch' settings till the image fits?
> 3) Cabling?
> 4) Sync rate?  xorg.conf gives the more or less standard range  - 30.0 -
> 68.0 and 58.0 - 72.0
>
> TIA!
> Brian
>
> I have the 47 inch Westinghouse monitor.  I don't use a modeline in
xorg.conf at all.  X.org automatically detects the resolutions available
from the monitor.  For the VGA input on my monitor there is a menu where you
can adjust the picture position and whatnot.  I think the refresh rate
problem has to do with the RAMDAC of your videocard.  1920x1080x50/60Hz is
pushing lower end RAMDACs to the limit.  Hopefully a DVI cable will clear up
your overscan problem.