[mythtv-users] XvMC not working - Nvidia

Damian Surr damian at gingermagic.co.uk
Tue Mar 27 22:40:04 UTC 2007

Yan Seiner wrote:
> Damian Surr wrote:
>

>> twm doesn't come with Ubuntu. I did log in with Gnome failsafe (I think
>> that's what it was called), but the problem was still there. glxgears
>> hitting around 10fps
>>
>> I tried to install twm, but couldn't log in with it so I either did
>> something wrong or it wasn't set up properly for Ubuntu.
>>

> I think you may have to do something like (as root):
>
> killall gdm
>
> and then
>
> startx -- twm
>
> and you'll have it.  (read the manpages on startx; I'm pretty sure I
> have that wrong.)
>
> But....
>
> So glxgears is running slow.
>
> I'm assuming your video is jerky?  Sound choppy?
>
> Let's back up and refresh my failing memory.  What's the original problem?
>
> Maybe we're all getting hung up on glxgears, and not solving the real
> problem.

Can't get XvMC to work in Mythtv
Live TV is ok. Girlfriend didn't notice any problems, but as a geek, I
would have expected smoother. That's when I tried to turn on XvMC and
I've not had it working.
Display in general .. just seems a little off. Then log in screen for
Ubuntu first somes on (or off, I forget .. maybe both) it looks like it
should be a soothe fade. What I get is a stuttering in/out.
And in something like Penguin Planet Racer, the geometry on there looks
like it should be no problem for my card, but there's stuttering there too.
There was a 2D scrolling Tux game too that was very jerky.

Lots of that is off topic, but maybe describes a bit more what's going on?

Damian