[mythtv-users] blank screen on mythtv-setup and mythfrontend

Bert Van Kets mythtv-users at vankets.com
Wed Mar 28 08:07:44 UTC 2007

Bert Van Kets wrote:
> Hi all,
> I am installing my first MythTV box after "playing around" with Fedora
> for about a year.
> I'm using
> - Intel MB with P4 2.7GHz
> - 1GB RAM
> - 2 x 80GB HD, 1 x 320GB HD
> - ATI Radeon 9550
> - Sound Blaster Audigy 2ZS Platinum Pro
> - Hauppage PVR-150
> - MS MCE remote type 1039 (the one with the colored buttons at the bottom)
> - kernel 2.6.20-2933 (latest stable FC6)
>
> I am following the fantastic guide at http://wilsonet.com/mythtv/
> I have updated my system fully using the Fedora, Fedora Extras, Livna
> and ATrpm stable repositories.
>
> I got mythfrontend and mythtv-setup running and did the basic
> configuration. I could watch live TV even though I still had to
> configure the channels. At least I knew the PVR-150 was running. I set
> the rendering to OpenGL and that worked fine.
>
> Yesterday I finally found out how to configure lircd and could see the
> commands in irw. Sadly enough when I wanted to test the remote in
> MythTV, I got a blank screen after starting the frontend. Also the
> mythtv-setup application gives me a blank screen.
> As far as I can say the only difference with the day before is the
> configuration of lircd and the fact that I moved from a CRT to an LCD
> monitor.
>
> Does anybody have some hints on how to debug this?
> Where can I find the MythTV logs?
> It does not seem logical that an LCD monitor sends MythTV haywire.
> I have tried Google and a few forums, but can not find any mention of
> this behavior.
>
> Thanks for any help.
>
> Bert
> Belgium

By starting mythfrontend from the console I found the problem is with
the OpenGL setting. Apparently something went wrong with my video
settings and I get the following error:

2007-03-27 22:47:33.054 Using the OpenGL painter
Xlib:  extension "XFree86-DRI" missing on display ":0.0".

How can I override the OpenGL setting when starting mythtvsetup?
Of course I can clear the database, but I'd like to avoid doing that.