[mythtv-users] Problems setting up XvMC

Tom Lichti tom at redpepperracing.com
Wed Mar 28 15:35:13 UTC 2007

William Munson wrote:
> Greg 'groggy' Lehey wrote:
>
>> I'm having trouble getting XvMC to start up.  Here's what I've done so
>> far:
>>
>> - downloaded the sources from
>>   http://svn.mythtv.org/svn/branches/release-0-20-fixes/mythtv
>> - configured with --enable-xvmc
>> - set the preferred MPEG2 decoder to Standard XvMC (also extra audio
>>   buffering, as recommended at
>>   http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/XvMC).
>> - Create a file /etc/X11/XvMCConfig with the content
>>   'libXvMCNVIDIA_dynamic.so.1'
>>
>> When I try to view a recorded programme, I get the following messages:
>>

> Something is wrong with your install. You should not have to manually
> create your library. Try reinstalling your nvidia drivers.

It doesn't look like he's creating the library, he's creating a link to
the library in the XvMCConfig file.

On my perfectly working NVidia 6200 based frontend I have the following:

- compile flags: --enable-xvmc --enable-opengl-vsync --disable-xvmc-pro
--disable-xvmc-vld --disable-xvmcw

- preferred encoder set the same as you

- XvMCConfig contents:
/usr/X11R6/lib/libXvMCNVIDIA_dynamic.so.1

- /etc/X11/XF86Config needs to have the Device section use the "nvidia"
driver, not the "nv" driver.

There are other things that can be done to optimize XvMC, but that is
pretty much the bare minimum.

Tom

There is other stuff to do to optimize XvMC, but that is the minimum to
get you going