[mythtv-users] MythTV without desktop manager

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Wed Mar 28 16:30:55 UTC 2007

On 03/28/2007 12:16 PM, Luca Lucchesi wrote:
> Is there a way to use mythfrontend without a desktop manager installed on
> the system?
> I don't want to install KDE, Gnome or someone else, and I wish to have a
> system which boots up as faster as possible.

That is the preferred approach (assuming by, "desktop manager," you
actually mean, "desktop environment").  Don't run GNOME or KDE (desktop
environments), but instead run a small, lightweight,
appropriate-for-MythTV window manager--like RatPoison.

Note that running with no window manager is not a supported
configuration.  See also
http://mythtv.org/docs/mythtv-HOWTO-23.html#ss23.2 and the section "My
remote doesn't work / works sometimes and not others / 'ghost'
keypresses" at http://mythtv.org/docs/mythtv-HOWTO-22.html#ss22.5 and
http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/Window_Managers and
http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/Frequently_Asked_Questions#Q:_Do_I_really_need_a_window_manager_for_a_frontend_only_box.3F
.