[mythtv-users] Performance issues, or Why Mythtv hates Oprah

David Brodbeck gull at gull.us
Thu Mar 29 00:32:32 UTC 2007

sdkovacs wrote:
> The Oprah Winfrey show records every day at 4pm EDT, but there is
> something on my box that is creating performance problems, and when
> Oprah is choppy, I'm in trouble(WAF).

One thing I didn't see you mention checking is /etc/crontab.  I'm not
particularly familiar with Fedora Core, but on most systems this is
different from the root user's crontab file.  Often there are nightly,
weekly, and monthly jobs launched from there.  I bet the nightly job
runs at 4 am on your system.  Often this does things like rebuilding man
and locate databases that create a lot of disk activity.