[mythtv-users] reprise: improve frontend usability: working with a slick remote

Yeechang Lee ylee at pobox.com
Thu Mar 29 11:22:48 UTC 2007

come se fosse antani <antani at gmail.com> says:
> But... how can the guy from linuxmce use a gyromouse (with so few
> buttons) to control the whole system??

The LinuxMCE guy is on the list; why not ask him?

As implied in my previous message, I like my MX-500 because it has a
good number of buttons--certainly more than any Apple remote or
gyromouse--yet (as is apparent from any picture of it) isn't nearly as
busy nor as crowded as the typical inexpensive third-party remote
people recommend here.

Most of the work toward support for a minimalist remote is already
done, anyway. Pulling up the OSD menu from my remote (overloaded to M,
the same key I use to pull up menus everywhere else within MythTV)
while watching the overnight recording of _The Tonight Show_, I see

Edit Recording
Jump to Program
Begin Transcoding
Commercial Auto-Skip
Turn Auto-Expire OFF
Schedule Recordings
Select ATSC CC
Select VBI CC
Change Aspect Ratio
Manual Zoom Mode
Adjust Audio Sync
Adjust Time Stretch
Video Scan
Sleep

Many of these entries in turn lead to submenus. I think all of these
have keybindings, but in my case my remote only has the bindings for
Edit Recording, Schedule Recordings|Program Guide and Schedule
Recordings|Program Finder (both overloaded with their Global
counterparts), Select ATSC CC|Toggle On/Off, Change Aspect Ratio,
and Adjust Time Stretch|Adjust. I don't use the other options enough
to justify associating a remote button to them.