[mythtv-users] 5.1 Surround on Chaintech AV-710

Josh TwoOneSix at thatclothingco.com
Thu Mar 29 13:08:06 UTC 2007

Ryan Pisani wrote:
> Hello List --
>
> I'm wondering if anyone out there is sucessfully using a Chaintech AV-710
> PCI card (Envy Chipset) to accomplish either analog 5.1 surround or
> optical via the SPDIF port?
>
> I've followed every alsa setup doc & google post I can find regarding 5.1
> surround and for the life of me I cannot seem to get it working. I can
> only achieve analog stereo out at this point.
>
> I've been unsucessful at getting any sound out through the spdif; and I'd
> even settle for analog surround at this point to be honest. All the
> devices seem to be present and the alsa drivers seem to loaded with no
> errors.
>
> Any help would be greatly appreciated. i.e asound.state asound.conf
> asoundrc that is known working.
>
> Thanks,
> Ryan Pisani
>

> [root at frouse2 mythtv]# aplay -L | tail -10
>     Chaintech AV-710, ICE1724
>     5.1 Surround output to Front, Center, Rear and Subwoofer speakers
> surround71:CARD=AV710,DEV=0
>     Chaintech AV-710, ICE1724
>     7.1 Surround output to Front, Center, Side, Rear and Woofer speakers
> iec958:CARD=AV710,DEV=0
>     Chaintech AV-710, ICE1724
>     IEC958 (S/PDIF) Digital Audio Output
>

> [root at frouse2 mythtv]# aplay -l
> card 0: AV710 [Chaintech AV-710], device 0: ICE1724 [ICE1724]
>   Subdevices: 1/1
>   Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
> card 0: AV710 [Chaintech AV-710], device 1: IEC1724 IEC958 [IEC1724 IEC958]
>   Subdevices: 1/1
>   Subdevice #0: subdevice #0

I assume you already check the Wiki
http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/Configuring_Digital_Sound_with_AC3_and_SPDIF.
Also, can you get it to work correctly with mplayer? MythTV is almost
never the SOURCE of audio issues as it doesn't do much other then ship
the stream to **wherever you tell it to go**.

--
Josh