[mythtv-users] Issues with DVD drive

Chris Funk cfunk30myth at gmail.com
Thu Mar 29 18:00:45 UTC 2007

On 3/29/07, Lan Barnes <lan at falleagle.net> wrote:

> I'm a relatively new Myth user running MythDora 3.2 whth a PVR-150 and an
> old GForce nVidia card. The basics (watch TV, schedule recordings) are
> running beautifully. Now I'm expanding my ambitions.
>
> My problem is that the DVD functions appear not to be utilizing my DVD
> R/W. The device is:
>
>   HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GSA-4120B
>
> The system has linked /dev/dvd to /dev/hdd. This appears to be correct,
> because when I run "eject /dev/hdd" as root, the tray opens. I also
> installed MythDora through this drive (although it wouldn't be the first
> time for me that a Fedora/RH install had recognized a drive that the
> subsequent system couldn't see -- go figure).
>
> My only other meaningful experiment was to put a known-good DVD movie in
> the tray and select Play DVD in the menu. This led to a clearing of the
> screen as if xine had loaded full screen, and then ... nothing. Healthy
> looking disk access lights but nada. Ctr-Alt-F2 took me to another
> terminal, so Linux was thriving under the hood, but I had to do a reboot
> to get control back (obviously I could have played with various kills, but
> a reboot seemed safe).
>
> The system has:
>
> /usr/lib/libdvdcss.so.2
> /usr/lib/libdvdcss.so.2.0.8
>
> So I don't syspect it's a decoding issue.
>
> I googled the drive and found some commentary on how it may not be an
> ideal HW choice for Linux, but can be made to work. I have put an
> extensive quote below on this from what I found (skip if you wish).
>
> So my questions:
>
> - anyone know why this is happening?
>
> - anyone have experience with this DVD HW?
>
> - any recommendations? Upgrade the firmware? Cut my losses and buy a
> different drive? Is it all user error?
>
> TIA for any help.
>

> <snip quote>
>
> --
> Lan Barnes
>
> SCM Analyst              Linux Guy
> Tcl/Tk Enthusiast        Biodiesel Brewer

Not sure if this is the core problem, but make sure if it is a new drive
that you have the region code set on it.  I purchased a new dvd drive, and
had a heck of a time getting a dvd to play finally traced it down to the
region code not being set in the drive's firmware.  There is a linux cli
util that will do it.  After that everything worked fine. Playing the dvd's
anyway.

Chris