[mythtv-users] very low glxgears fps

R. G. Newbury newbury at mandamus.org
Fri Mar 30 21:34:19 UTC 2007

James Warden wrote:
> OK,
>
> so you seem to have most of the stuff configured. I
> would suggest you check what lsmod spits out through a
> 'grep agp'.
> I don't remember what your xorg.conf AGP option was
> and it could be that even forcing this option in this
> file won't work if something during the boot process
> precedes the nvidia module loading that prevents the
> NvAGP option to work as expected. As I said, I had the
> intel_agp module loaded before nvidia with debian
> kernels and there was not much I could do to prevent
> this from happening (even if I blacklisted the damn
> module) so i had to recompile my kernel without that
> module and agpgart altogether. Only then NvAGP=1 in
> xorg.conf would have an effect. And it resulted in a
> big improvement as far as the 3D acc performance is
> concerned.
>
> J.
>

> --- Gabe Rubin <gaberubin at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On 3/30/07, James Warden <warjamy at yahoo.com> wrote:
>>> I have an intel based laptop with an nvidia
>> geforce 4200 go (an old timer by
>>> nowadays standards). I run debian sid on it. I use
>> the binary driver from
>>> nvidia (version 9631). I had to disable agpgart
>> from the kernel since I want
>>> to use the nvidia AGP option. The debian kernel
>> had agpgart by default,
>>> which loaded the module intel_agp. That decreased
>> the performance. Without
>>> those guys in the kernel, using the nvidia agp, I
>> get around 4500 fps (my
>>> CPU is a 1.6 GHz pentium M) when I run X at 16bit
>> color depth, and about
>>> 3000+ fps at 24bit.
>> any way to do this without rolling my own kernel?  I
>> use the one from atrpms.

This brings to mind somehting I read at fedorasolved which says that you
should not install the nvidia drivers directly with the nvidia.run file
but should install by way of the rebuilt rpms at livna. Somehting to do
with bad mesa modules being installed, and something to do with agpgart.

Don't remeber details by my box did speed up when I changed the driver.
The livna install poked something the right way.

Geoff

--
              R. Geoffrey Newbury
            Barrister and Solicitor