[mythtv-users] Latest svn builds segfaulting

R. G. Newbury newbury at mandamus.org
Fri Mar 30 21:50:46 UTC 2007

Willy Boyd wrote:
> On 3/30/07, William Munson <william_munson at bellsouth.net> wrote:
>> One common mistake people make when switching to SVN is compiling into
>> default setting of /usr/local. The prebuilt packages load into /usr so
>> you will need to either recompile with --prefix=/usr or manually delete
>> all the old libraries. Personally I prefer to build into /usr.  Another
>> thing I do is to disable all the features I do not need. Seems to make a
>> difference.
>>

> Since others will be reading this, I would just like to personally
> recommend *against* doing just that.  There are good reasons for
> "standards" like building into /usr/local, especially when mixing
> user-compiled code with pre-built packages.  Unless you're very
> careful (as I'm sure you are), you stand a greater chance of messing
> up your environment when you start installing custom code over
> packaged binaries which normally like in /usr.  Sure, a common mistake
> is to have the old libs hanging around in /usr, but that's why you
> remove the older myth packages as well and keep things separate.  Once
> you start mixing things in the same bowl you get even more unexpected
> results.  /usr is for system packages, /usr/local is for user-compiled
> binaries and libs.

And further to the above, if you ensure that /usr/local is listed before
  /usr in your PATH and /usr/local/lib before /usr/lib in ld.so.conf,
the two versions can co-exist peacefully, to the extent that you can try
the SVN version without touching your present installation. If the SVN
crashes, you need only delete /all usr/locla/bin/myth* and
/usr/local/lib/libmyth* files to revert. BTDT

You do have to remember to run depmod and ldconfig before cranking
things up,

Regarding WHY the newer version segfaults: you are using, I think at DVB
card of some sort. On a forum at silicondust, for the HdHomeRun unit, it
has been posted that SVN 12619 broe k(sic!)  omething for DVB-type
recorders but that 12618 works....This appears to be true. I am running
my mythbox, with HD3000 card on 12618 and do not have problems.

Presently playing with the HdHomeRun on the laptop with SVN 13142 and it
appears to work....but I am not sure abouit recordings yet.

Geoff

BTW: Love the HdHomerRun....the documentation is obscure but the unit
works fine under myth...I can't get it to work with vlc, but that's just
for play!

              R. Geoffrey Newbury
            Barrister and Solicitor
       Suite 106, 150 Lakeshore Road West