[mythtv-users] Watching TV the "MythTV way" and finding new programs

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Sat Mar 31 12:46:07 UTC 2007

On 03/31/2007 01:25 AM, Brad DerManouelian wrote:
> On Mar 30, 2007, at 10:16 PM, Chad wrote:
>> So, I am just thinking ahead, say 5 years.  If I continue to watch
>> MythTV the way it's intended (without channel flipping, usually
>> without commercials) how am I supposed to know what new series come
>> out, what they are about, and what channels they are on?

You still don't need to know what channels shows are on.  I couldn't
tell you what channel any of my favorites are on.  :)

> Once in a while I go to Manage Recordings>Schedule Recordings>Search
> Lists>New Titles and scroll through to see if there's anything
> interesting in there.

I use Bruce Markey's approach and set up an inactive rule that finds the
first episode of any new series.  There's a template in the for the
rule, so it's just a matter of selecting it and making the rule
inactive.  ( http://cvs.mythtv.org/trac/changeset/6793 and
http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/150446#150446 )
Then, new series show up in my Upcoming Recordings screen (but are
highlighted as inactive--making it easier to find them).

Then, when I see a new series, I create a rule.  I have my Myth box
record "anytime on any channel" every new TV series (except Reality
shows, of course ;) and--wait for it...--I don't watch them.  I let the
shows sit on my Myth box for at least 3 months and many times for 6
months.  Then, as the networks cancel the new series (which happens a
lot), I delete the shows and the rule (no sense getting invested in a
show/starting to enjoy a show that won't come to a conclusion--think,
"Surface" or "Invasion" or ...).  When I hear people talking about how
bad a show is, I delete all the episodes and the rule.  And, when--much
less frequently--I hear everyone talking about how good a show is, I
start watching it.  I have to admit I watch some shows I never would
have chosen to watch because of this approach (*cough* Desperate
Housewives--after a few months everyone was talking about it and I had
all the episodes, so...).

With this approach, you'll miss a lot of good TV (probably some of the
best--like Firefly, Wonderfalls, Love Monkey (good music), ...), but I
have to admit I'd rather live my life naive.  If I don't know about a
good story, I won't miss it.  If, instead, I start watching a show and
decide it's great, I'll be very upset when it gets canceled.  To really
be safe, you should wait until the season ends--a lot get canceled after
one season.  I just don't have that kind of patience when a show
/sounds/ like something I'd like (i.e. Surface and Invasion).

Unfortunately, to make this approach work after upgrading to an all
high-definition system, I needed to upgrade my storage.  (I'm currently
at 3TB.  :)  Because of my travel schedule/life, I needed the upgrade
regardless (I can't watch TV as fast as Myth records it, so I need to be
able to keep a lot of shows for a long time).  Keeping a lot of
unwatched shows around also has the benefit that between seasons, you've
got a lot of TV left to watch.

Mike