[mythtv-users] garbage on top few pixels of HD video

Yeechang Lee ylee at pobox.com
Sat Mar 31 22:34:27 UTC 2007

jaggroups <jaggroups at brownout.com> says:
> I am having an odd problem with my myth box.
> I have noticed that my recording of Raines from my PCHDTV 5500 card
> off the air plays with some garbage on the top.

Normally I'd agree with the others and say that what you're seeing is
almost certainly VBI data that normally isn't visible because of
overscanning built into the display but happens to be visible on your
display configuration . . .

> You can see an example at: http://www.brownout.com/raines-garbage.jpg
> It only shows up while it is playing.  If I pause the video it goes
> away.

. . . Except that the rainbow pattern, and that it goes away when
paused fact, remind me of what I see when I add 'crop' to Setup|TV
Settings|Playback|Custom Filters. See
<URL:http://svn.mythtv.org/trac/ticket/1961>. VBI data doesn't look
like vertical rainbow bars; it looks like a think layer of horizontal
lines. ('crop' is useful for eliminating the VBI data, actually, if it
works right on one's particular setup.)