[mythtv-users] OT:Portable Media Player

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Tue May 1 18:48:15 UTC 2007

James Pifer wrote:

>> I use a GP2X to do what you describe, but that costs a little more. It
>> does run a user-controllable version of Linux, and you can get an
>> expansion board to connect a KB, mouse, network adapter and any other
>> USB device.
>>

> I've looked at this in the past. Out of curiosity, what are you using
> for storage? USB storage using the expansion board?

No, I just use a 2GB SD card. I can fit 2 or 3 full-length movies and
several 30 minute TV shows on a card if I transcode and reduce the
bitrate and resolution. That's more than enough for me, and I could
always take along 2 or 3 more SD cards if I wanted more. I simply load
up a card before I take a trip.

Basically I treat the device as a glorified iPod without the massive
storage. I have an expansion board but I haven't even had a chance to
play with it since I got it about 6 months ago.