[mythtv-users] Ubuntu Edgy -> Feisty upgrade report

Cool Frood aaranya+mythtv at gmail.com
Tue May 1 20:25:38 UTC 2007

On 4/30/07, Jon Boehm <jbpub at comcast.net> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> This actually went much better than I thought it would.  Here are some tips.

I had a few issues during the upgrade:

1. I have a custom xorg.conf that coaxes my display to run with DVI.
Basically I have to set some magic NVidia driver parameters in the
device section.  With the upgrade from edgy to feisty, the NVidia
drivers were updated too and they have different names for parameters.
 It took me a while to figure out what was going on, but eventually I
found the right version of the NVidia documentation to fix it.

2. I was compiling ivtv drivers by hand, now they are already included
in the kernel, so I don't have to do that any more.

3. I'm using a custom kernel module for lirc (lirc_pvr150) that
supports the PVR 150 remote.  Getting this kernel module to compile
with the newer kernel took a little bit of effort because the custom
kernel module did not support the 2.6.20 kernel.

All in all, it wasn't very hard, but it wasn't something that could
have been figured by a total newbie.  Of the three issues, I wish #1
didn't exist.  Auto-configuring X still remains a sore point for
Linux.