[mythtv-users] Is Wider better?

barbex barbex at gmail.com
Wed May 2 13:15:18 UTC 2007

We recently got a widescreen LCD TV, nothing fancy, HDready but I'm
not even sure if it can really do HDTV.
I record SD on a PVR 350 and over DVB-T.

One thing that a monitor most likely does not have but a TV is the
ability of "zooming" the picture. I can cycle through various settings
on our TV and change the aspect ratio of the picture.

When the TV was new, we watched with the grey bars left and right.
Nowadays we watch everything "zoomed" to full screen. That way true
4:3 content is cut at the top and the bottom. And you know what? I
doesn't matter! Sometimes you don't see someones hairstyle but who
cares?
About half of the shows we record (like CSI, House ...) are
letterboxed widescreen. (Is that different in the USA?) They are
recorded at 4:3 with black bars top and bottom but I let the TV zoom
in and watch them widescreen. Much, much nicer.

I would go with widscreen LCD TV and "zoom". Just my 2c.

barb