[mythtv-users] Ubuntu Edgy -> Feisty upgrade report

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Wed May 2 14:47:46 UTC 2007

David Campbell wrote:
> Brian Wood wrote:
>>> Linux sys admin != Unix sys admin
>> Many Unix admins working today started out by learning Linux. I said
>> some people run Linux in order to ultimately learn Unix. Why confuse or
>> discourage them at the outset?
>
> Because every day I see people who are confident Linux SA's but stick
> them on a Solaris server and they are in trouble almost from the outset.
>
> Mind you the opposite tends to not be true.  It's a horrible userlan
> experience but Solaris does help SA's learn the hard way.

This is off the list as it getting WAY OT.

I guess as always it depends on what you want to do.

I had someone ask me the other day "How do I install IIS on Linux?"

After I stopped crying, I asked the obvious question: WHY?

It seemed perfectly logical to him - He had "learned all about web
servers (meaning IIS) in school". He wanted to set up a web server at
home on an old machine and didn't want to pay for Windows.

So there are worse cases than Linux users trying to run Solaris.

My first exposure to Unix was A/UX on a Mac (the original PaNIX in NYC).

Since then I've wound up using most of them, from DEC's DU, to HP-UX to
Chromix (a subset of Xenix), SunOS, Solaris, BSD, SVR* and a few I can't
remember. None of this was in the "computer" business, but actually in
TV broadcasting.

I certainly agree that folks with just Linux experience, especially in a
single-user non-commercial environment (Living Room) often do not
transition well to other Unix systems, but some do.

Students I've met who started with the commercial Unices do seem to have
a better grasp of a lot of seemingly simply concepts, like the answer to
most problems is not to just reboot whenever you feel like it :-)