[mythtv-users] Is Wider better?

Fred Squires fsquires at gmail.com
Wed May 2 17:07:13 UTC 2007

On 5/2/07, Brad DerManouelian <myth at dermanouelian.com> wrote:
> On May 2, 2007, at 6:15 AM, barbex wrote:
>
> > We recently got a widescreen LCD TV, nothing fancy, HDready but I'm
> > not even sure if it can really do HDTV.
> > I record SD on a PVR 350 and over DVB-T.
> >
> > One thing that a monitor most likely does not have but a TV is the
> > ability of "zooming" the picture. I can cycle through various settings
> > on our TV and change the aspect ratio of the picture.
>
> Myth does this in software so there's no need to worry about if your
> display can do it or not.

I've never tried MythTV's zooming mode, but my TV has several
different zoom modes for 4:3.
The one I like the best cuts only a little bit off the top and bottom,
leaves the middle 50% of the image alone, and then progressively
stretches the outside of the image more and more as it gets closer to
the edge of the screen.  The stretching isn't very noticeable because
most of the actors in 4:3 video are centered.

> > About half of the shows we record (like CSI, House ...) are
> > letterboxed widescreen. (Is that different in the USA?) They are
> > recorded at 4:3 with black bars top and bottom but I let the TV zoom
> > in and watch them widescreen. Much, much nicer.

A lot prime time shows in the USA, such as the ones mentioned above,
are broadcast with black bars on the top and bottom, so zoomed mode
would work for them.

--
It was supposed to be so Easy.