[mythtv-users] TiVo Convert Experience - HDTV Video Card Recommendation

Rich West Rich.West at wesmo.com
Wed May 2 21:43:31 UTC 2007

Jim Shank wrote:
> A little over a month ago, in an effort to move away from my DirecTiVo I
> decided to give MythTV a try. I recently upgraded my main PC and decided to
> allocate my old development box to this project. It consists of:
> ASUS K8V SE Deluxe motherboard
> AMD Athlon 64 3200+
> 2GB RAM
> ATI X850PRO (AGP)
> 500GB SATA HD
>
> <..snip..>
> Summarizing the actual questions in my long-winded post:
> 1. How can I correct the DVD playback aspect ratio in the Internal player
> (tried the menus but nothing changed)?
> 2. Recommendation for a video card that will work well with MythTV and can
> handle 1080p through a DVI connection.
> 3. Recommendation for a DirecTV receiver (cheap) that works extremely well
> with MythTV (serial control). Are there any with 1394 video connections?
> 4. Any complaints about HDHomeRun or is that a solid investment?

I can take a stab at this.  I went through something rather similar
(dual-tuner DirecTivo to MythTV conversion) about 6 months ago.  Believe
me, in the end, it is all worth it. :)

The problems with your aspect ratio and your TV are likely related to
the ATI card.  With the nVidia GeForce 6200 card, once you get the
syntax down just right for the xorg.conf file, the aspect setting is a
snap.  Personally, on one of my sets, I use a DVI to HDMI adapter cable,
and it works great.  (See
http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/ComponentOut for tips.. the title
is a little misleading as it can be applied to DVI and HDMI).

I still have three of the RCA DirecTV (DRD435HR) set top boxes that I
control via the low-speed serial port.  Check out
http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/Controlling_DirecTV_STB_via_USB.
I'll probably shut down one of them when I get my HDHomeRun for OTA HD.

I recently posted a question about the HDHomeRun to the list.  Everyone
responded in the positive, with a lot of praise about how easy it was to
set up and how good the quality is.

-Rich