[mythtv-users] Changing aspect ratio?

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Thu May 3 19:19:18 UTC 2007

On 05/03/2007 01:46 PM, David Frascone wrote:
> Michael T. Dean wrote:
>
>> On 05/03/2007 09:48 AM, David Frascone wrote:
>>> HD recorded on different tuners (HDHomeRun -vs-
>>> Firewire) seem to have different shapes.  Both *should* have a 16:9
>>> ratio, like my TV, but when I get video off of the firewire, I have top
>>> and bottom letterboxes.
>> You need to properly specify the display's aspect ratio in X. ...
> I made those modifications, but it didn't really seem to do anything.
> (I checked the Xorg.log file -- the changes did do *something*, but
> nothing noticable).

You're not using an aspect override (in frontend settings under
"Playback Settings" in Myth, are you?  That will "break" some things on
some configurations (aspect overrides are only required for users who
don't properly configure their systems or who capture at, for example,
4:3 but want to always stretch output to 16:9).

> HDTV via HDHomeRun looks great, if I change the aspect ratio to 4:3.
> (Full screen on my 16x9 monitor).  HDTV via firewire has top and bottom
> letterboxes, and no aspect change removes them.  (Well, I think a couple
> of the zooms remove them, but also remove most of the picture)
>
> Any other solutions?

I completely agree with Rich's suggestion--connecting the firewire to
the TV directly would verify whether the problem is yours or Comcast's.
If you can't do the firewire, you could try connecting another STB
output to the TV, although it would still be possible that the STB is
just doing firewire output incorrectly.

>   I'm guessing my next recourse is to add a new
> aspect change to the frontend menu.

If you do go down this road (and many--including Daniel, who will
probably otherwise end up doing it himself--will be pleased with your
contributions), please look at implementing this as Daniel requested
(separating zoom and aspect ratio).  See, also:

http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/dev/210598#210598
http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/dev/210577#210577

http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/dev/240097#240097
http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/dev/248894#248894