[mythtv-users] Hauppage PVR radio tuner

Robin Gilks g8ecj at gilks.org
Fri May 4 01:04:35 UTC 2007

> I was under the impression that it's not currently possible because the
> driver doesn't support it (yet).  Of course I'm not sure where I read
> that...

The FM tuner on the 150/250 and 350 has been supported almost from the
year dot - lots of other cards have had radio support for something like
10 years (my original WinTV card comes to mind).

The problem is that up to now the radio stuff has been hacked into
MythMusic or based on the same ideas as the music plugin so its limited to
being supported by the frontend only. Tuners should be on a backend and
have the capability of recording as well - neither of which happened with
either MythFM or the radio patches to MythMusic. That meant no sharing of
resources and there is also the whole aspect of scheduling as well...

Now that there are cards supported that do both analog and digital but not
at the same time and DVB radio is supported, the necessary hacks won't be
too difficult to put into the backend since a card could presumably be
marked as busy if the FM tuner is being used.

Injecting a dummy very low bitrate video stream and packaging it with the
audio in a Nupple mpeg2 container would allow the playback (both delayed
and Live) to use the current frontend code. Another Transcode option to
extract the audio as mp3 and push it into the MythMusic repository would
be a useful way of optimising storage just as TV stuff can be archived off
to the Video directory.

If I knew anything at all about C++ I'd do it myself but over 40 years of
assembler and C means this dog isn't likely to be learning any new
tricks:-( I'm certainly willing to contribute more ideas and to be a
tester however...

--
Robin Gilks