[mythtv-users] skipping video frames after being On for a couple of days

William Munson william_munson at bellsouth.net
Sat May 5 19:11:14 UTC 2007

Dmitry Shesterin wrote:
> The system is running great, all the plugins I wanted are working
> just fine, the only problem that annoys me a lot now is that I have
> to REBOOT my Ubuntu box EVERY DAY because video playback STARTS
> SKIPPING FRAMES.
>
> Symptom:
> Video continues to play, but frames are being dropped. The video
> looks like it is going at 1-5 frames a second. Sound is working just
> fine.
>
> System:
> Mythtv20
> CPU Intel 2.8
> RAM 1Gb
> Ubuntu 7.04
> Hauppage WinTvPVR250 - tuner
> Video out through S-video via 128MB AGP Nvidia FX5200 and NVIDIA drivers
>

> The processor is not loaded, there is enough memory, so I have no
> idea why video stops playing at a regular rate and frames are
> dropping. Usually it happens when a computer is extremely busy, but
> it is not the case in my situation.
>
> After I reboot, everything works just fine for another day or two.
>
> Can anybody please land me a hand in trying to figure out what is
> happening and why video is behaving this way?

There have been some reports of memory leaks in 7.04 so you might want
to take a look at memory usage over a few days to see if one of your
processes is growing continuously. Other than the small risk involved in
running the latest version of ubuntu, I do not see anything about your
setup that is unusual or risky.

You might want to upgrade to 0.20-fixes branch of svn as it has a bunch
of fixes the older 0.20 release does not. I would not recommend the svn
trunk branch right now. Its going thru some significant changes right
now and would not be a good choice for troubleshooting.