[mythtv-users] Xorg: TV Screen Resolution?

Denis Papathanasiou denis.papathanasiou at gmail.com
Sun May 6 14:39:59 UTC 2007

I'm using the TV-out jack of my ATI Rage card to connect my myth tv
machine to my TV screen.

It works for the intial boot sequence: I can see the bios information
and the initial linux messages messages (uncompressing kernel, etc.)
perfectly.

But when it gets to the X server login screen (I'm using Fedora 6),
the screen image becomes mangled and illegible.

The default Fedora resolution is 1280x1024 at depth 24 ("millions of
colors", according to system-config-display) which is obviously
incompatible with the TV (it's an NTSC tube, or CRT display).

I've tried chaging xorg.conf with different resolutions and depth
values, but none of them work: I've tried 800x600, 640x480, even
720×480, which is supposed to be NTSC's default resolution.

Basically, I'd like to set xorg.conf to the same resolution settings
the machine uses when first booting.

So how can I can get X to display in the same way?