[mythtv-users] dvb-t picture problems - ideas?

Gary Dawes gary.dawes at gmail.com
Sun May 6 20:21:30 UTC 2007

Both of my problems seem to be capture related rather than playback as I
tend to watch a lot of recordings on the laptop in the kitchen, which has
Windows and mythtvplayer on it, and I get the picture breakup on there on
dvb recordings as well as on the frontend, although it doesn't support live
tv. I do have deinterlacing turned on on mythfrontend - bob, as it has
always seemed to be the best alrounder. None on the mythtvplayer and
windows. And I have checked the same recording on both. I performed another
channel scan today, as well as changing the recording mode to "tv only"
rather than normal, and the problem has reduced quite a bit. certainly on
BBC1 and Ch 4 - I've got to steel myself before I watch the wife's
emmerdale, even in the interests of troubleshooting!

My understanding is that myth etc, just streams the data straight from the
card to disk, and does not perform any mucking about with codecs etc. If
it's not the signal, is it possible that it could  be an issue streaming the
data to disk?

Interestingly enough, the cable recordings play in the correct ratio on
mythtvplayer. I have the display aspect ratio set correctly in xorg.conf. If
I paly a recording with the force aspect ratio off, I get black bars down
each side of the display as if myth thinks it's 4:3, It fills the screen if
I set it to 16:9. I'll try and have a play about with mplayer to check the
flag, however I do have the apect set to 16:9 in the recording profile.

cheers

Gaz