[mythtv-users] Myth / Pluto / LinuxMCE choice - advice needed

Gary Dawes gary.dawes at gmail.com
Sun May 6 20:32:29 UTC 2007

If you want a fairly painfree myth setup expereince with plenty of support,
then I'd go with knoppmyth. I've been using it for about 3 years ( myth for
over 4) and although it is not faultless, it's pretty good out of the box
now.

Main PC hardware should be fine if it's not bleeding edge. I'd recommend
nvidia for the graphics output, and hauppuage cards, for the capture cards.
Although I'd recommend that you check as revisions can change.

I also use Freecom usb dvb-t tuners (3 of them) for picking up freeview
transmissions and they work fine with a decent signal, although the latest
revision needs a newer version of the driver than is included - fairly
simple to do.

Go with a MCE remote - 15 to 20 quid from a computer fair, or local dealer.
support is built in. I scrounged one of a mate who had one spare. I plugged
it in, found the config file on the mythtv wiki, and I was away.

On a more personal note, my missus is extremely fussy, and normally doesn't
stand for my geeky toys,but Myth's been there for over 4 years now, and
she's never considered anything else, and proudly shows it off to all and
sundry.

have fun and good luck.

gaz