[mythtv-users] Analog and Digital Cable Confusion (HDHR, etc)

Matt Jordan thehappyfunball at gmail.com
Mon May 7 00:51:03 UTC 2007

To date I have only really dealt with analog cable so he digital/HDTV
realm is very much an unknown.

I am building a new Myth setup and was hoping to jump into high def
and use HDHR as the primary 'tuner'.  My thought was that I could get
the digital channels I pay for but only the HDTV ones would be
encrypted and if I were unable to record in HDTV I could just record
in SD (but still digital).  I realize that this may not be the case
because even the SD may be encrypted (correct?).

Since analog will be going away  I want to avoid using an analog tuner
in this system.  Is it possible to use an HDHR as the sole input and
still get all channels I pay for?

What are my other options?

Forgive my beginner questions but I have not yet found a resource that
fully explains all of this and the options I have.

Thanks!

Matt