[mythtv-users] No sound watching TV

Paulo Cavalcanti promac at gmail.com
Mon May 7 09:39:41 UTC 2007

> Yes it is, and you really shouldn't need the arecord/sox nonsense. I'm
> using an
> onboard hda device and it works just fine. I don't think you've mentioned
> what
> capture card you're using, but it appears your myth sound is coming in on
> Line
> In.

It is a pixelview. line in input it is the only way, since the onboard card
does not have an auxiliary input for using a CD audio cable.

When you set up the capture card in mythtv-setup, you'll only see the
> /dev/dsp* options listed. However, you can (and should!) clear the field
> and
> type in 'ALSA:default'.

In myth-setup (not mythfrontend) it does not accept ALSA:default
If I force it (clear and type) the value is lost when I return.

Then in mythtv general setup, you set the output device
> as 'ALSA:default'. That's it for the myth setup.

In this part (mythfronend general) I was already using ALSA:default. This
one holds when I force it.

Getting sound working now depends on getting the alsa settings on the sound
> card right, and alsamixer is a good way to do that. In alsamixer, press F3
> show the playback controls. As Nick indicated, you want Line In up (eg 80
> or so),

This is the problem. There is no line in volume. It is a known issue with
this Intel onboard card (Sigmatel) and alsa.

"The integrated hda sound works but doesn't let you do a loopback from line
in to line out with current alsa drivers." (
http://www.awe.com/mark/blog/200702271100.html)

/Paulo Roma.