[mythtv-users] Updating mythtv with atrpms without updating kernel and kmdls

Michael Rice mikerice1969 at hotmail.com
Mon May 7 19:41:52 UTC 2007

Sorry if this has been covered before but I've been reading this list and
upgrading and such for over a year and haven't quite figured it out yet.

Once I have all the hardware working (after upgrading or after setting up a
new box) I want to leave it alone... so I don't don't want to update kernels
or kernel modules.  But occasionally I'd like to update mythtv to get fixes
from the fixes branch.  In fact I wouldn't mind updating any user space
software.  But "yum update" seems to want to upgrade everything.

I've seen messages indicating partial updates with atrpms is bad so yum
update \*myth*\ would not be wise.

What is the best way to do what I want without messing up dependencies?
Just do "yum update" and somehow remove the new kernel?  Or maybe something
like yum update --exclude=<kernel>?  What's the best known method for this?

Thanks.